The Department of Computer Science and Technology (DCST) of Tsinghua University can be tracked back over half a century ago. In 1956, Tsinghua University established the computer major, one of the first in China. In 1958, the Department of Automatic Control was set up with computer science as one of its majors. The department was renamed the Department of Computer Engineering and Science in 1979, and the Department of Computer Science and Technology in 1984. The department started the master program in 1978 and the Ph.D program in 1981.
In the past six decades, DCST has made significant contributions to the development of computer science and technology in China, and promoted teaching, research and product development in this field. This can be observed through following research works conducted at different years in Tsinghua University.
In 1958, the nonlinear analog computer model 551 was built.
In 1959, the tube-based digital computer model 911 was launched and put into operation in 1964.
In 1965, the full-transistor digital computer model 112 was built and put into production afterwards.
In the 1970s, the DG-Nova compatible mini-computer of DJS-100 series (models 130, 140, etc.) was developed and over thousands units were installed. It was the first mini-computer produced in China.
In the 1980s, the first IBM compatible micro computer 0520-C, jointly developed by Tsinghua, Great Wall Computer Corp. and the 6th Institute of Ministry of Electronic Inducstry, was put into massive production. Besides, an Apple compatible micro computer CEC-1 for high school and primary school students was developed at Tsinghua and over 130,000 units were produced.
In the 1990s, CERNET, the largest national education and research network in the world was built. As the driving force, Tsinghua University led its development and operation.
In the 2000s, CNGI-CERNET2, the largest pure IPv6 network in the world, was built in China. Tsinghua University played a leading role in its development and operation.