Bachelor of Electronic and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1977;
Master of Computer Science, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1982;
Ph.D. in Computer Science, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1997;
Leading Group of Informatization, Tsinghua University: Deputy Director, Head of Office (2010-);
Network Research Center, Tsinghua University: Director (1994-);
China Education and Research Network (CERNET): Director of National Network Center, Director of Technical Board (1994-);
Research Center for Computer Network Technologies, Minister of Education: Director (2001-);
Tsinghua National Laboratory for Information Science and Technology: Deputy Director (2006-);
National Engineering Laboratory for Next Generation Core Network: Director (2009-);
Information Advisory Committee, State Council: Member (2000-);
Internet Society of China (ISC): Vice Chairman (2001-);
Asia Pacific Advanced Network (APAN): Chairman (2007- );
China Computer Federation: Director of Internet Technical Committee (2003-);
China Next Generation Internet Program (CNGI): Member of Technical Committee (2004-), Deputy Director (2010-);
PKEIO University: Visiting Professor (2008-2010).
Areas of Research Interests/ Research Projects
Computer Networks, Internet, Computer Network Architecture
Protocol and Network Testing, Formal Method
National Basic Research Program of China (The 973 Program): Theoretical Study of New Generation Internet Architecture and Protocol (2008-2013);
National Basic Research Program of China (The 973 Program): Theoretical Study of New Generation Internet Architecture (2004-2008);
International (Regional) Cooperation and Exchange Project, National Natural Science Foundation of China: P2P Traffic Measuring, Modeling and Monitoring (2007-2009);
National Natural Science Foundation of China: Next Generation Internet Architecture and Protocol Theory (2002-2005);
National Science and Technology Infrastructure Program: Trusted Internet (2008-2010);
National 863 High-Tech Program: Key Technologies and Applications of Trusted Next Generation Internet (2005-2006);
Key Project of National Development and Reform Commission: National Engineering Laboratory for Next Generation Core Network (2008-2010);
Key Project of National Development and Reform Commission: IPv6 Upgrade and Application Demonstration of Education and Research Infrastructure (2008-2010);
Key Project of National Development and Reform Commission: CNGI-CERNET2/6IX (2003-2005);
National Key International Cooperation Project: Collaborative Research on Next Generation Internet IPv6 between China and Japan (2003-2005).
I began research and teaching in the field of computer networks in1977.I have presided over 20 major national research and engineering projects related to computer network.
1. I presided over the CERNET demonstration project in 1994, when China still did not have large-scale Internet design and construction experiences. Through hard working and collaborative research with other 10 universities, we successfully built the China Education and Research Network (CERNET) demonstration project. CERNET is an ambitious project of our country for the twenty-first century. Being an advanced computer network that covers the whole country, its technology has reached international advanced level of the 90s. It was awarded second-class National Awards for Progress in Science and Technology in 1997. In this project, I put forward a large-scale Internet architecture design scheme which contains the core ideas of connectionless packet switching, flow-based sub-regional routing and accounting, a large-scale Internet operation and management system based on the technologies of running flow active network element and data link dynamic acquisition, and a security system based on cycle-based security view. I have been responsible for the technical work of CERNET for a long period and presided over the completion of six major national projects. CERNET now has become the world's largest national academic network, which played an important role in accelerating the technological progress of China's Internet and promoting the use and training of it.
2. I have long been engaged in the research of computer network routing and switching technologies. I presided over the development of IPv6 core router. The success of the IPv6 core router is a major breakthrough of key network technologies, and it promoted the localization process of key network equipment development in China. In the 1980s, in the severe situation of the restrictions on Chinese imports of foreign network equipment, I have successful presided over the developments of many key network equipment such as X.25 packet switching network and routing device, advanced network processor and high-performance security router, and promoted the use of these equipment in real networks. Core router is the heart of the Internet. It includes complicated technologies and only the United States, Japan and other technologically advanced countries master its core technology at that time. China's Internet formerly relied on foreign routers, which brought a significant risk to national security. In 2004, I worked with my colleagues and finished the development of IPv6 Core Router with independent intellectual properties. It is the first internal router that passed the IPv6 Core Router Test Specification (Draft) test by Ministry of Information Industry. Its overall technology has reached international advanced and domestic leading level, and it has four important innovations including the scalable router operating system BWOS. Its mixed IPv6/IPv4 dual-stack routing table method and new methods for establishing IPv4overIPv6 tunnel are in the leading positions in the world. This research result was awarded the second-class National Awards for Progress in Science and Technology in 2005. It gained five national invention patents, and has been widely used in network projects such as CNGI (China Next Generation Internet) program.
3. I have long been engaged in the research of Internet architecture and protocol theory, and key technologies of Internet, and have made some innovative research results. In the 1980s, I proposed the theory of protocol conformance test systems based on expanded labeled transition system, developed a TCP/IP protocol conformance test system to effectively test the Internet protocols. In 2003, I was hired as the chief scientist of the National 973 Project "Theoretical Study on a New Generation Internet", and led project team to work hard and achieve a number of innovative research results, such as a new Internet architecture which has multi-dimension scalabilities in aspects of scale, function, performance, security and service. I put forward the roadmap of "Constructing the Large-scale Pure IPv6 Internet Backbone", which aims to address the technical problems of large-scale IPv6 backbone such as network topology and routing design, addressing and naming planning, network measurement and management. I also put forward an "IPv4overIPv6 Transition" theory, which used inexplicit tunneling technology to solve the technical problems such as IPv4 and IPv6 compatibility, transmission mapping, manageability, scalability, security and auto-configuration. I proposed an "Authentic IPv6 Source Address Architecture" which has become one of the important technical foundations of trusted next generation Internet. The above results have applied for 11 Chinese patents (3 authorized), promoted the Internet standards organization IETF to set up Softwire and SAVI working groups, and submitted 10 IETF draft standards and 1 CCSA standard. I am the first author of RFC 5210, RFC 5565 and RFC 5747.
4. I presided over the major national projects CNGI-CERNET2/6IX, which improved China's next generation Internet technologies to the international competitive position. I started next generation Internet research in 1998 and presided over the NSFCNET project in 2000, which achieved 10Gbps high-speed IPv6 testbed for the first time in China using IP/DWDM technology, and are able to connect to the international Next Generation Internet. In 2003, I presided over the "China Next Generation Internet core network CNGI-CERNET2/6IX" project by uniting 25 universities. This project is currently the world's largest pure IPv6 Internet backbone. It designed and constructed a large-scale next generation Internet backbone mainly based on domestic equipments, which has a major impact both domestically and internationally. It has a number of major innovations which includes: building large-scale pure IPv6 Internet backbone, authentic IPv6 source address architecture, and IPv4overIPv6 transitional technology. They are all international initiatives and reached world leading level. This project strongly promoted China's core network device industrialization and made an important contribution to China's participation in international Next Generation Internet test bed. In this project, I proposed a technology roadmap for "building a large-scale pure IPv6 Internet backbone", a major strategy of "mainly using domestic core IPv6 routers to construct large-scale backbone", and key technologies of "authentic IPv6 source address architecture" and "IPv4overIPv6 transitional theory". This project has major impacts on international academic community. The results were awarded Second National Awards for Progress in Science and Technology in 2007 and rated as "Top Ten Scientific and Technological Progress of China" in 2004 and 2006.
5. I have long been active in Internet area. I was the APAN Vice-Chairman since 1999 and was elected as Chairman of APAN in 2008. I was awarded as China's Top Ten Scientific and Technological Excellence by IEEE Spectrum in 2005 and gained "IPv6 Pioneer Award" by IPv6 Forum in 2007. I have chaired IEEE, ICNP, ICDCS and other international conferences.
Honors And Awards
Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation: Prize for Scientific and Technological Progress (2008);
The IPv6 Forum: IPv6 Pioneer Award (2007);
IEEE Spectrum: China's Top Ten Distinguished Specialists (2005);
Worldwide Finalist for the 21st-Century Achievement Award (2003);
Ministry of Education, P.R. China: ChangJiang Professorship Award (2000-2004);
National Natural Science Foundation of China: Distinguished Young Scholar (2002);
Beijing Outstanding Teaching Award (1997);
Ministry of Personnel: Distinguished Young Specialist Award (1996);
State Council: Distinguished Specialist Award (1996);
Croucher Foundation of Hong Kong : Croucher Foundation Award (1994);
Canadian International Council: Canada Study Award (1994);
National Science and Technology Progress Award, Second Class-Core Network CNGI-CERNET2/6IX (2007);
National Science and Technology Progress Award, Second Class-IPv6 Core Router (2005);
National Science and Technology Progress Award, Second Class-CERNET Demonstration Project (1997);
National Science and Technology Progress Award, Third Class-Trading System for Beijing Commodity Exchange (1997);
Science and Technology Progress Award by Ministry of Education, First Class-Demonstration Project of China Next Generation Internet (CNGI): Core Network CNGI-CERNET2/6IX (2006);
China Computer Federation: Wang Xuan Award, First Class-IPv6 Core Router (2006);
Influential Invention Award of China Information Industry-Key Technologies in IPv6 Core Router (2004);
Science and Technology Award by China Institute of Communications, First Class-Key Technologies of IPv6 Core Router (2004);
Science and Technology Progress Award by Ministry of Education, First Class-Research on Key Techniques of Computer Networks and its Applications (2000);
Science and Technology Progress Award by Ministry of Education, First Class-CERNET Demonstration Project (1996).
 Dan Li, Jianping Wu, Yong Cui, "Defending against Buffer Map Cheating in DONet-like P2P Streaming", IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol.11 (3), 535-542, 2009
 Jun Bi, Jianping Wu, Wenmao Zhang, A trust and reputation based anti-SPIM method, 27th IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2008), 2008
 Jianping Wu and Yong Cui, et al, "The transition to IPv6, Part I:4 over 6 for the China Education and Research Network", IEEE Internet Computing, 10(3), MAY 2006
 Yong Cui and Jianping Wu et al, "The transition to IPv6, Part II: The softwire mesh framework solution", IEEE Internet Computing, 10(5), SEP 2006
 Jianping Wu, Xing Li and Gang Ren, "Source Address Validation: Architecture and Protocol Design", Proc. IEEE ICNP'2007
 Lijun Wang, Jianping Wu and Ke Xu, "Modified flap damping mechanism to improve inter-domain routing convergence", Computer Communications, Vol. 30 (7), 2007
 Dan Li, Jianping WU and Yong Cui, "QoS-aware Streaming in Overlay Multicast Considering the Selfishness in Construction Action", IEEE INFORCOM'07, May 2007
 Jianping Wu and Ke Xu, "Research on Next Generation Internet Architecture", Journal of Computer Science And Technology, 21(5): 723-731, SEP 2006
 Jianping Wu and Dan Li et al, "Stability of ALM tree with selfish receivers: A simulation study", Computer Communications, 29(15), SEP 2006
 Zhiliang Wang, Wu Jianping and Yin Xia, "Using TIMEDTTCN-3 in interoperability testing for real-time communication systems", Proc. of IFIP Testing Of Communication Systems (TESTCOM'06), 3964: 324-340 2006
 Jianping Wu, Dan Li and Yong Cui, "Stability of ALM tree with selfish receivers: a simulation study", Computer Communications, Vol. 29 (15): 2895-2903 SEP 2006
 Dan Li, Yong Cui, Ke Xu and Jianping Wu, "Impact of receiver cheating on the stability of ALM tree", GLOBECOM'05, IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, Vol 1-6, Discovery Past and Future, 2005, 667-671
 Zhongjie Li, Jianping Wu and Xia Yin, "Testing multi input-output transition system with all-observer", The 16th IFIP International Conference on Testing of Communicating Systems (TESTCOM'2004), Oxford, United Kingdom, 2004
 Zhiliang Wang, Jianping Wu and Xia Yin , "Towards Interoperability Test Generation of Time Dependent Protocols: a Case Study", GLOBALCOM 04